How long can I borrow from the Vicksburg District Library?
- Adult, Teen, Children’s books, and audiobooks are on loan for 28 days.
- CDs are on loan for 14 days.
- Video games are on loan for 7 days.
- DVDs are on loan for 5 days.
- NEW Adult books are on loan for 14 days.
- NEW magazines cannot be checked out.
- Outdoor drop boxes are available for returning items when the library is closed.
Please note: New books may not be renewed. Other items can be renewed once, unless another patron has placed a hold on the item.
Does the Vicksburg District Library charge fines?
Yes. Here is the fine schedule at the VDL…
- All books, audiobooks, and CDs are assessed a $0.10 per day fine.
- Video games and DVDs are assessed a $1.00 per day fine.
- Items overdue for an extended period are assessed a replacement and staff processing fee.
What are some free services provided by the library?
- WiFi hotspot and public computers connected to the internet.
- Assistance with browsers and email.
- Michigan e-Library access, which includes interlibrary loan and access to job sites and research material.
- Programs for children, young adults, and adults and senior citizens.
What are some services with an associated cost?
- Faxing – send/receive faxes at $1.00 per page.
- Copies and printing – $0.10 per page for black and white, $0.50 per page for color, one side only.
- Community/Meeting Space – free for many local, non-profit activities. There are fees for for-profit or private functions, and for out of district users.
Do you take credit/debit cards?
No, we do not. We have chosen not to accept cards as the associated fees and costs would raise the cost of various services for our patrons. So at this time, we only accept cash and check.
What are some ways that I can help the library?
A patron can help the library in multiple ways!
- A patron can recommend materials to purchase. They can do this by stopping in at the Circulation Desk and asking to fill out a Materials Request form.
- A patron can inquire about volunteering at the library. Volunteers help keep our library operating smoothly by lending a hand with ongoing projects, helping with daily tasks, and so much more! Inquire at the Circulation Desk for a volunteer application form or fill out the form online.
- Make a material donation. Book donations are then used for our annual Book Sale, which helps fund our children’s programs for the year.
What kind of books can I donate?
We will happily take the following materials if the are in acceptable condition:
- adult fiction books
- adult non-fiction books
- audio books
- young adult and teen books
- children’s books
We cannot accept:
- periodicals and magazines
- any old, moldy, or damaged items
All items for donation must be brought to the library. We cannot schedule pickups. Sorry.
Can I make a monetary donation to the library?
Of course! There are many different ways to support the Vicksburg District Library, and we appreciate each and everyone one of them.
THE DEVELOPMENT FUND
This fund is for the future of the Library. When the time comes to expand the building or redesign the current building, gifts of $1,000 and more given for this purpose will be used. All donors to this fund will be noted on the Library’s Annual Report and will eventually be named on a permanent plaque in the Library.
THE ANNUAL FUND
You can make a difference right now by making a gift of any amount to the Library’s Annual Fund. This fund is for the current operations of the Library to provide for programs, resources and equipment that are not possible with current public funding. Examples are: the Summer Reading Program, other youth programs, enhanced technology or any of the Library’s collections. These gifts are recognized in the Annual Report.
THE ENDOWMENT FUND
Established by the Gardner family, this fund is invested through the Kalamazoo Foundation. From it the Library receives an annual income to use for programs materials or furnishings. Endowment fund donors will be recognized in the Annual Report and those of $1,000 or more eventually on a plaque.
Donations are made to the Memorial fund to purchase library materials in memory of a friend or loved one to commemorate some event. Books or other items will be purchased and a plate inserted that notes the name of the person or event being honored.
Gifts to any of these funds can also be made via a trust or a simple bequest as part of your estate planning. A bequest to the Vicksburg District Library creates a legacy for generations of families. Many generous donors have remembered the Library as they prepare their wills.
TAX BENEFITS OF GIVING TO THE LIBRARY
For all monetary donations, you will receive a Thank You card that notes the amount of your gift which can be used for tax purposes. At your request, we can also give you a form with that information.
Federal income taxes: your whole contribution is deductible as a charitable contribution in the year of payment as an itemized deduction. Consult your tax professional for advice on charitable donations.